Friday, July 10, 2009

Vegan Virgin

In 2007, I spent my senior year of college at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. It was an atmosphere of tolerance as both flat-mates and school friends began to introduce me to the ways of vegetarianism. In the UK, vegetarian cuisine is much more prevalent than I found it to be in the States: Linda McCartneyThat April, I decided to become a vegetarian. It made traveling to Switzerland and France interesting to say the least.

In Switzerland as a vegetarian the markets are heavenly, filled with the finest yoghurt, produce, breads and chocolate available. And the drinking water! Even the water from fountains is clean and divine. But the restaurants were a different experience: greasy rosti and fried cheese or fondue. Every meal revolved around large quantities of cheese. Even as a cheese lover at the time, it was too much.

Surprisingly, although cafes in Paris weren't always accommodating, the fine dining was. At Le Gare, a haute restaurant in a converted train station, upon learning I was vegetarian, the chef made me the most wonderful meal of my life. Who knew that roasted vegetables and risotto could taste like that.

In April of 2009, I became a vegan. Despite having previously insisted to friends that I could never give up cheese and milk, one day I put the requisite splash of milk in my Irish Breakfast, I couldn't stomach the greasy taste any longer. I went 100% vegan overnight. I have loved the changes in my skin and attitude towards food and overall attention to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment